Sizzlin

Wednesday, March 14, 2007

update!

Well, here's where things stand:
Yesterday I put in my notice at my job, and I decided with my supervisor that my last day will be this Sunday. It was hard to do, but I'm feeling surprisingly good about it so far. I almost chickened out, but it was pretty clear that my time there was coming to an end one way or another anyway. The good news from all of this is that my supervisor still said she'd be happy to serve as a reference for me. She even called the HR department and recommened that they consider me for employment in other programs within the agency. She thinks I have good clinical skills and over all I did the job well, she just believes that working with adolescent boys is not where I belong. Honestly, I couldn't agree with her more. Unfortunately, it doesn't look like there are any jobs open right now that I would be interested in at this agency. This won't surprise any of you, but she said if she could pick a population for me to work with it would be with younger children. I only wish there were more jobs in my field that worked with that age group. I'm keeping my eyes open though. I am just happy that after all of the fuss and stress things have ended there very amicably.
Today I had an interview out near Worcester. It was advertised as a secured program for adolescent girls who are "court-involved". I would enjoy working with a group of young girls, so I was looking forward to the interview. Little did I know that I was applying for a job at a youth-prison, complete with barbed wire and locked cells. Needless to say, I had an uneasy feeling about this one. The interview went well, and at the end of it, the lady asked me if this seemed like something I'd be interested. I had to say "no, I don't think so"! I don't think she gets that response very often, but if there is one thing I've learned from my current employment experience it's that I need to listen to my gut when I get a bad feeling about working somewhere. I was also picturing my current supervisor's reaction when she got a reference check phone call from a youth prison. I don't think that is the kind of place she would recommend me for. In fact, I think it would have been a worse match for me than where I'm at now, if that is possible. I'm glad I'm learning something though. I atleast am getting an idea of what i do not want to do, and i'm having the guts to say it.
Thankfully, Big Guns is being very patient and supportive while I try to figure out and find what I'm supposed to be doing. I just hope that something happens soon.

1 Comments:

Blogger Beloved said...

Hmmm, you don't like your job & you don't like where you live. I can't think of 2 bigger indicators that it's time to move on. All that on top of planning a wedding! You 2 are in our prayers!

3:16 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home