Sizzlin

Wednesday, November 08, 2006

Today's Interview:)

Well, it didn't leave me with a warm, fuzzy feeling inside. They said they'd let me know by early next week if they're interested in a second interview. Honestly, I don't expect a call, but who knows. It is a therapeutic school for children, or supposed to be. I feel like they try to treat children with their brains rather than their hearts. It felt more like a dog training school. I've learned that it doesn't matter what type, or approach, to therapy you use (and there is research to back this up). The most important thing is the relationship between the counselor and the client/child in this case. You need to have a good rapport, and in order to do that, all of your interactions need to be based on honesty, mutuality, and genuine respect for all the other person is and has the potential to become. The bottom line is you need to be real, and you need to be invested in the person's life, and they need to be able to feel that from you on an intuitive level. With people who have been abused, and haven't had much of a life, that can take time, but that's what I believe we are there for. When the person gets it...that's why I do this work. Life is too short and precious to give up on. It brings tears to my eyes to think about the amount of strength it takes for them to reach out and to believe in themselves again. It is nothing short of a miracle.
In contrast, this school touts it's devotion to the principles of its "biotechnology". To me and to Webster's dictionary, biotechnology is more related to medical technology than human relationships. When i think of working with children and trying to make a difference in their lives, I don't think 'biotechnology'. " For some reason, I find those terms uninspiring. The lady showed me artwork around the school intended to display the school's 50 principles of human diversity. The pictures were beautful, but something about the terminology they use doesn't sit well with me. It seems like they think they have the world of human relationships down to a science. I don't think it's a science, and to try to make it sound like some kind of technology is bologna. It robs the human experience of it's beauty and meaning. It's much to sterile, and that was my general impression of the facility as I toured the school.
Maybe I'm being overly harsh and judgemental here, so in the off chance that I get called back for a second interview I'll go (as I mentioned before, I'm very tired of being unemployed!), but I won't be too disappointed if I don't.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home